Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Carson stuns Reed, 54-27
by Kayla Dubchansky
Sep 12, 2009 | 588 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
All was not well in Raider nation Friday night.

Reed hosted the Carson Senators, and the Raiders saw the end of a very lopsided 54-27 defeat on its home turf.

"Carson played a whole lot better than us," Reed coach Ernie Howren said. "They beat us up. That's the reality. We didn't play very well."

Howren was right. Reed (1-2) didn't play very well, throwing four interceptions, missing tackles and performing rocky special teams play. Howren described their problem simply as, execution.

"That was the biggest thing, especially offensively. We did not execute," Howren said. "We had a couple third and shorts that we needed to get first downs, but did not get them. A couple big fourth downs. We had what we wanted and we didn't have people execute. You have to play as a team out there and we didn't have that."

At times, the Raiders looked lost on the field, and it showed on both ends.

Reed quarterback Tyler Pine had four interceptions on the night, and Carson capitalized by scoring on three of the four turnovers. Carson also capitalized on a 95-yard punt return.

Carson (2-1) scored on its first drive of the game on a 26-yard field goal at the 9:20 mark in the first quarter. It scored its first touchdown, about a minute and half later. Reed posted a bad snap and Pine scrambled but couldn't gain control off the bounce. Carson's Ignacio Valladares picked up the pigskin and ran it in for the Senators and a 10-0 lead.

"This was an exclamation point," Carson coach Blair Roman said. "A signature win for us."

On its next possession Reed gave up its second interception and Carson scored again, this time on a 31-yard field goal with just under five minutes left in the first quarter of play.

Reed finally got a score in to close the gap on Carson with just 1:02 left in the first quarter. On fourth-and-20 on Carson's 28, Pine put up a toss to Aaron Greenblat for the touchdown. The extra point was blocked but put Reed on the scoreboard trailing 13-6 heading into the second quarter.

Ten seconds after the new quarter, Carson scored on the first snap as quarterback Blake Plattsmier found a hole in the middle and ran in from 45 yards for the 20-6 lead. Plattsmier had 139 rushing yards to go with 158 passing on the night.

Carson scored again about three and a half minutes later when Dylan Sawyers found a gap in the middle and ran it in for a 41-yard score.

"(Our defense) didn't play very well," Howren said. "We didn't see any surprises there, we just didn't stop them. I'll tell you 32 (Sawyers) is a heck of a running back. He did a great job."

Sawyers, a sophomore, had one interception, a 95-yard punt return along with six catches for 34 yards and 59 yards rushing.

The Senators took a 33-6 lead with 3:30 after Reed's third interception of the night. Plattsmier threw the pass to Ean Witter for the tally.

Reed's first very solid offensive series happened in the second half and resulted in a touchdown, digging at the score 33-13. Reed had four first downs in six plays and Christian Thompson ran it in for Reed with under five minutes in the third quarter.

Carson came back and Sawyers scored 16 seconds later on the ensuing kickoff return for a 40-13 lead.

"A big credit to their offensive line and the wide receivers on the outside," Howren said. "I thought the receivers did a tremendous job blocking."

Reed got the next score in with 2:50 remaining on the third-quarter countdown. Pine threw from the 11-yard line to Brandon Mondragon to pull to 40-20 but the Raiders still had a lot of ground to make up.

Carson only needed two plays to score again on a hand-off to Sawyers who made a 23-yard run to push the Senators ahead, 47-20 with less than two minutes gone in the final quarter.

Two possessions later, Pine and Greenblat connected again but it was too little, too late. Reed still trailed by 20 with 5:33 left on the clock.

"It came down to execution and them playing better," Howren said. "We just didn't play well, we didn't execute and they did."

Pine completed 20 of 37 attempts for 299 yards. Greenblat had 14 catches for 218 yards.

The Senators weren't done. Carson posted one last score after a Reed onside kick. Levi Odea scored with Carson on the 19-yard line, on third with four to go for the 54-27 final with two minutes left in the game.

"It's been a long time since Carson High had beaten a No. 1 team," Roman said.

For Reed, Thompson posted 152 yards on 23 carries.

Reed will face McQueen, last year's state champion, next week.

"We're going to figure out how to execute as a team," Howren said. "One play at a time, push in the front, receivers running the routes, making blocks on the perimeter, all of that."

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses