Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Carson downs Reed, 2-1
by Kayla Dubchansky
Sep 09, 2009 | 643 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Intensity was the name of the game between Reed and Carson Wednesday in prep boys soccer action. The teams battled to a 2-1 decision for Carson in a nail biter of a non-league match.

"It was a very intense game, it really was, from the very first seconds," Reed coach Jeff Valentine said. "Carson's a great team."

With numerous shots on goal, to go along with quite a few yellow cards, Carson got a two-goal lead before the Raiders could recover.

"They picked up their intensity and made it equal, it was a great game overall." Valentine said. "There was a lack of concentration I think on a couple things."

Carson coach Nathan Brigham felt Reed came out hard in the first 15 minutes of the game and was lucky they didn't score early.

"The first 15 minutes for my team, we were a little slow," Brigham said. "We didn't keep very good possession of the ball. We weren't pressuring. We let Reed take the game to us the first 15 minutes. We got a little fortunate that they didn't score in the first 15 minutes."

In the first half, Luis Gonzalez scored for the Senators with 12 minutes left in the half. Reed was called for a foul in Carson's box and the Senators took control from there. Carson scored in transition off the build up taking the 1-0 lead into halftime.

The teams stayed tight throughout much of the second half, both missing on numerous offensive opportunities. With about two minutes left on the game clock, Gustavo Gonzalez ended up alone after a Reed defensive scramble and shot the ball under keeper Luca Licciardi.

"It was a very physical game both ways," Brigham said. "I think we were going in a little bit harder and we just wanted the ball a little more."

Reed rallied back and scored off a Cisco Herrera corner kick that Romiro Sandoval managed to tip in, pulling the Raiders back within one, 2-1.

"We should've kept playing, and that was mostly our fault," Valentine said.

Reed had a golden opportunity as stoppage time dwindled. Licciardi stepped up to the midfield, pushing his 10 teammates into an offensive stand. Licciardi's kick hit a Carson forward in the head and after some words, both players were given yellow cards and sent off the field.

Reed's Grant Faanes put on the goalkeeper's jersey and joined his teammates in the fray on offense, leaving the Raiders' goal wide open. The kick was put in the middle and bobbled around before Heyden Enochson got off a shot that was high and a bit wide.

Reed starts league play Saturday against McQueen.

"We will have a couple people back that were injured or suspended, so that's a big plus," Valentine said. "We'll be ready to go."
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses