Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Hug overtakes Carson, captures North boys hoops crown
by Dan Eckles
Feb 16, 2013 | 1939 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
CARSON CITY - Its hard to win a prep basketball game if you never lead in 32 minutes of regulation play, but that's exactly what the Hug Hawks did in Saturday night's Division I North boys final.

Hug trailed through nearly all of the postseason tournament tilt but pulled into a tie with a minute to go in regulation and then never trailed in overtime en route to pulling out a 53-49 victory over Carson at Carson High School.

The dramatic overtime win gives Hug back-to-back northern Nevada large school region titles. The Hawks earn the North's lone berth into the upcoming state tournament, which tips off Thursday at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

Carson took a 35-21 lead into the fourth quarter but could not put Hug away. The Hawks scored the first seven points of the fourth, trimming the CHS lead to seven, 35-28. That was the first time Hug had been within single digits since early in the second period.

Carson got a tip-in from Alan Cohen with 4:15 left in regulation. That left the Capital City school still holding a nine-point edge, 39-30. Unfortunately for Senators fans, that's as good as it got.

Hug wrapped up the fourth quarter on an 11-2 run, knotting the contest at 41-41 when Ryan Narra made one of two fouls shots with 1:07 left in regulation.

The extra session was all Hug. The Hawks scored first in OT on a Raymond Kerr layup. The two teams traded buckets to a 45-45 deadlock, but Hug ripped off eight of the game's final 12 points to capture the four-point win.

Hug's defensive pressure in the second half, but more specifically in the fourth quarter and overtime, was the key to victory. The Hawks picked up the intensity on their full-court defensive pressure and Carson had no answer.

"I thought our guys were a little gun-shy early because of their 2-3 zone," Hug coach Keith Crawford said. "We made some adjustments at halftime on the defensive end. That's what changed the game. Our guys laid it on the line. They never stopped fighting."

Through three quarters it looked like Carson was well on its way to capturing a regional crown. The Senators scored the first eight points of the game and forced Hug to play catch-up.

Carson pushed it's lead to 16-7 at the conclusion of the first quarter and went into halftime ahead 23-13. The hosts forged on top by 15 twice in the third quarter. That margin was Carson's biggest lead of the night.

Kerr scored 18 points to lead Hug's offense, which also got 13 points from Sam Williams.

Rafe King was Carson's only player to score double digits, finishing with a game-high 20 points.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses