Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Reed girls roll over McQueen; boys drop heartbreaker
by Aaron Retherford
Feb 01, 2013 | 3175 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed guard Brooke Cervantes (23) looks to get up a shot in traffic during the Raiders' win at McQueen Friday.
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed guard Brooke Cervantes (23) looks to get up a shot in traffic during the Raiders' win at McQueen Friday.
The Reed girls basketball team took one step closer to clinching its third consecutive High Desert League title by going largely untested for a fourth straight game without standout Gabby Williams.

The latest victim of the new-look Raiders was McQueen as the Lancers had no answer for the Raiders’ low posts, Nakiyah LeSure and Tina Vernon, in Reed’s 57-40 HDL road win Friday night.

“We did not shoot the ball well. We went on droughts,” Reed girls basketball coach Sara Schopper-Ramirez said. “I think that’s going to happen when everybody is trying to find new roles and we’re trying to find new scorers. We had little chippers that just wouldn’t go in. The key thing with the girls is they keep working through it.”

The Raiders enjoyed a double-digit lead following two free throws less than a minute into the second quarter, 18-8. The margin never dipped below 10 during final 23 minutes of the game.

Reed held the Lancers to just one field goal and four free throws in the second quarter and grabbed a 34-14 edge by the break.

Following McQueen’s lone basket of the quarter, at the 4:52 mark, Reed increased its lead from 24-11 to 34-11 with 10 straight points. The run included back-to-back 3-pointers by Brooke Cervantes within a 17-second span.

LeSure scored seven of the Raiders’ 18 second-quarter points.

It didn’t get any better for the Lancers coming out of halftime.

Reed tallied nine of the first 11 points in the third quarter to take a 43-16 advantage.

The Raiders led by 27 for a second time, 45-18, with 3:48 on the clock. However, the Raiders let off the gas and the Lancers came roaring back.

“I want them to play every possession with intensity because playoffs are right around the corner so I preach that to them non-stop,” Schopper-Ramirez said. “I don’t know if they believe me fully, but that’s what we’re preaching. You can’t take any possessions off even if you think the score isn’t close because we can go on droughts like we have before.”

MHS freshman Sierra Morales sparked a string of seven unanswered by draining a 3-pointer from the top of the key.

Morales knocked down a trey from the wing, closing out the third quarter’s scoring with 13 seconds on the clock. McQueen finished the third period on a 12-2 run, cutting the deficit to 47-30, heading into the final eight minutes of action.

The northwest Reno school knocked down the first bucket of the fourth quarter. Another 3-pointer by Morales left the Lancers trailing by only a 14-point margin, 49-35, with 6:34 to play. That was as close as the hosts would get the rest of the way.

The Raiders pulled away for the last time with a 6-0 spurt, pushing the gap back up to 20 points, 57-37.

LeSure led all scorers with 15 points, while Vernon added 14. Cervantes chipped in 10. Tyler Sumpter finished with nine, but scored only one point after the first quarter and was noticeably limping throughout parts of the game after rolling her ankle in practice Thursday.

Reed (18-3, 13-1) is back at home Tuesday when it takes on North Valleys at 5:15 p.m.


Not many boys basketball teams in the D-1 North will win games by posting a four spot in a quarter.

But Friday night’s HDL clash at McQueen was so low-scoring that Reed’s four-point output in the third quarter only provided a mere speed bump.

However, Kendall Dewees’s bucket with 5 seconds left lifted McQueen to a 44-42 victory, avenging a 59-46 loss at Reed in mid-December.

After putting up four points in the fourth quarter, Reed trailed 34-30 entering the fourth quarter. While McQueen outscored the east Sparks school 14-4 in the third quarter, it was the Lancers’ turn to go cold from the field in the fourth.

The Raiders opened up the fourth quarter when Ty Shepard made a quick backdoor cut and converted the layup one minute into the quarter.

A pair of free throws by Deyraun Stamps left the teams in a 34-34 deadlock with 6:27 to play.

The Raiders regained the lead on a basket down low by Devin Herbert. A Devin Gray free throw extended the lead to 37-34 at the midway point of the fourth quarter.

At the 3:27 mark of the fourth, the Lancers ended their drought, getting to within one point, 37-36.

Thirty seconds later, Reed was up by three again thanks to a perfect trip to the charity stripe by Juan Rodriguez.

However, it was only a matter a time before McQueen’s shots started falling and it only needed three.

With 1:53 on the clock, Bryce Harnack swished a 3-pointer from the right side and 26 seconds later Kody Eckert drained one from the other side of the court, forging the Blue and White into a 42-39 lead.

The Lancers left the door wide open for the Raiders, missing the front end on three consecutive 1-and-1 situations in the final minute.

Reed took advantage of the first opportunity as Herbert scored in transition, pulling Reed to within one, 42-41, with 48 seconds remaining.

However, after the second miss, Reed came down the court and chucked up an ill-advised contested 3-point attempt.

Still, the Raiders lucked out again after Dewees came up empty at the line with 30 seconds on the clock.

Reed called timeout and set up the same backdoor play that worked at the start of the fourth quarter. This time, Shepard couldn’t get his shot to drop, but he was fouled and went to the free-throw line. Shepard missed the first but sank the second with 14 seconds left, tying the game at 42-42.

McQueen didn’t call timeout. Instead, the Lancers pushed the ball up the floor and got the ball down low to Dewees, who pump faked a defender up in the air and made a layup while being fouled. He could not convert the three-point play.

Reed brought down the rebound and had 5 seconds to go up the floor with a chance to tie or win, but didn’t come close with a desperation attempt.

The fourth quarter was almost a mirror image of the third.

McQueen stormed out of the halftime break and socked Reed in the mouth with 10 unanswered points, claiming a 30-26 lead.

Reed ended its four and a half minute drought to start the third period when Gray hit a jumper, its only field goal of the quarter. The Raiders went from leading by six at halftime to trailing by four after three quarters.

To start the game, McQueen jumped out to a 7-2 lead thanks in part to Dewees knocking down 3-pointers from both corners.

But the Lancers’ offense proceeded to go quiet for nearly five minutes until Taylor Matthews banked home a three-ball from the corner with 29 seconds on the first-quarter clock, ending a 10-0 run by the Raiders.

Reed was up 12-10 after the first quarter, but Austin Rukthavornsakul tied it up at 12-12 with a baseline jumper, 20 seconds into the second quarter. Rukthavornsakul then gave the home team a 14-12 lead with a turnaround in the lane at the 6:36 mark of the second quarter.

Coming out of a timeout, Gray rattled home a 3-pointer, putting the Blue and Gold back in the lead, 15-14.

Both teams traded baskets for the next minute until Gray hit a shot from downtown and followed that up with a drive to the hoop for a layup and a 22-18 RHS lead with 2:41 to go in the first half.

Following a pull-up jumper by Harnack, Reed answered with four points to end the first half with a 26-20 cushion.

Reed (12-9, 8-5) doesn’t have long to put this loss behind it. The Raiders will host Galena today at 1:30 p.m.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses