Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Reno boys rally past Reed in overtime
by Aaron Retherford
Jan 19, 2013 | 1757 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Reed boys basketball team is much improved since it opened the season with a 13-point home loss to Reno. The Raiders, who had won three league games in a row, got their chance at revenge Saturday afternoon.

Reed survived a 12-0 run early in the fourth quarter, but a 7-0 Huskies run to start overtime was too much to overcome as Reno swept the season series with an 82-78 triumph Saturday afternoon.

Reno’s Garrett Hampson knocked down a game-tying 3-pointer as time expired on the fourth quarter, sending the game into overtime. The momentum continued for the Huskies in the extra session.

Kyle Mahaffey drove to the hoop for a score. After Reed turned the ball over off a deflected pass, Justin Crow curled around a screen to free himself for a basket, forging the hosts into a 76-72 lead.

Halfway through overtime, Hampson dropped in a 3-pointer, capping the 7-0 run.

Reed tried to battle back, but came up just short.

Trae Wells’ 14-footer cut Reno’s lead to 79-78 with 51 seconds to play.

Mahaffey opened the door for Reed when he was called for a travel with 30 seconds on the clock.

However, the Raiders threw the ball away with 15 seconds left. Mahaffey collected the loose ball and was fouled, making amends by nailing both free throws with 10.6 seconds on the clock.

Reed came down the court, but air-balled a three-point attempt. Connor Bush pulled down the rebound and was fouled. He made the first foul shot to seal the victory, pacing the Huskies with 22 points. Hampson added 18, while Mahaffey and Crow chipped in with 13 and 11 respectively.

Raiders couldn’t withstand the Huskies surge in overtime, the Blue and Gold did persevere in the fourth quarter.

With a three-point lead early in the fourth quarter, Reed watched Reno score seven points in 25 seconds, which ignited a 12-0 run that spanned a 1:15.

After Crow banked home a 3-pointer from the left wing that concluded the 12-0 spurt and left Reno with a 63-54 edge, Reed had to get back to work and it stopped turning the ball over.

Devin Gray made a 3-pointer at the 4:23 mark of the fourth, which was part of an 8-2 run by the Raiders that pulled them within three, 65-62.

Soon after, Wells went off the glass to tie the game at 68-68.

Reno proceeded to miss the front end of a 1-and-1 situation, allowing Reed to take a 70-68 lead after Alonzo Vega made two free throws with 1:09 left in regulation.

Reno cut the margin in half with one free throw, but chose not to foul until there were 18 seconds to play.

Ty Shepard put Reed in good position with a perfect trip to the charity stripe, but Hampson and the Huskies were undeterred as he fired up a shot from the top of the key and locked up the teams at 72-72.

Reno also rallied quickly to start the second quarter.

The first 1:10 of the second quarter saw the Huskies string together six straight points, increasing the advantage to double digits for the first time, 20-10.

Reed did not quit, answering with its own 6-0 rally.

After Deyraun Stamps went coast-to-coast through traffic for a layup, cutting the deficit to 22-20, Reno called timeout and stopped the bleeding. The Huskies tallied the next five points, leaving them with a 27-20 edge.

Both teams battled back and forth over the last three minutes of the first half.

The Raiders lucked out in the closing seconds. Juan Rodriguez scored a putback with 12 seconds on the clock, and then the Huskies turned the ball over. Gray was fouled in the backcourt with 2.3 seconds before halftime. Gray took advantage of the double bonus at the line, cutting the deficit to 31-30 with a pair of free throws.

The one-point deficit at the half turned into a one-point edge after the third period.

The Raiders came out lighting it up from the outside to begin the second half. Three-pointers by Wells and Shepard gave Reed a 36-35 lead -- its first lead since it was 2-0. Ajay Bains knocked down a trey, bumping the gap up to 39-35 with 5:34 on the third-quarter clock.

Then the east Sparks school just tried to hold on.

It did just that until Reno went on a 6-0 run to grab a 46-44 lead with 2:42 to play in the third.

Reed regained the lead with back-to-back buckets by Stamps and Wells, but the visiting crew could not pull away, staking claim to a 52-51 lead at the end of the third quarter.

That set up the fireworks by the Huskies early in the fourth.

Wells led all scorers with 25 points. Vega had 13 in the losing cause.

Reed (9-7, 5-4) hosts Carson Tuesday night at 7 p.m.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses