Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Reed falls short in 2OT marathon at Douglas
by Damian Tromerhauser
Jan 05, 2013 | 2725 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Photo courtesy of Shannon Litz/Nevada Appeal - Reed's Jonathan Stacy gets off a leaner in the lane while Douglas' Hunter Myers defends the action.
Photo courtesy of Shannon Litz/Nevada Appeal - Reed's Jonathan Stacy gets off a leaner in the lane while Douglas' Hunter Myers defends the action.
After 32 minutes of play, regulation wasn’t enough to decide a Division I North crossover league game between the Reed boys basketball team and Douglas. Neither was a single overtime period. Needing a second overtime, Douglas outlasted the Raiders and grabbed a 75-67 double-overtime victory at home Saturday afternoon.

While Douglas (8-6, 2-1 League) walked away with the win, Reed (6-6, 2-3) nearly stole the victory right from grasp of its hosts.

With one minute remaining in the contest, Douglas held a 58-52 lead. Unfortunately for the Tigers, they missed a handful of free throws down the stretch, giving the Raiders a small window to climb back into the game. Reed took advantage.

Down 59-54 with 0:27 on the clock, Reed guard Devin Gray pulled up behind the 3-point line and hit a triple to make the game a one possession contest with 18 seconds to play. Douglas then missed a pair of free throws on its next possession to give the Raiders hope.

Reed guard Ty Shepard raced down the court to the corner in front of the Raiders' bench. The Raiders then worked the ball around the perimeter to senior guard Jonathan Stacy, who sent up a pump fake, side stepped his defender and then sent a bounce pass to an open Devin Herbert on the block. As Herbert went up for the easy basket, Douglas’ James Herrick blocked the shot off of the backboard, resulting in a goaltending violation. That tied the contest at 59-59 with 0:01 on the clock and sent the game into OT.

Neither side was able to find offense in the overtime period as they exchanged a three-pointer each. With over a minute left in the overtime and the game still knotted at 62-62, Reed milked the clock down to the final seconds in order to get the last shot. The Raiders then put the ball in guard Trae Wells’ hands with 0:05 left.

Wells drove the lane, cutting through a pair of Tigers before sending up a floater over another pair of Douglas defenders. As the seconds ticked off the clock, the ball bounced off the back rim, tipped off the front rim and fell to the side of the net to send the game into yet another overtime.

“Our kids did a good job of being strong and running that last 1:20 down to give us the last look,” Reed coach Dustin Hall said of the last play. “We got the look we wanted with the guy we wanted. Trae is comfortable taking contact inside and finishing around the rim. We got a great look, but it just didn’t go in. Besides that, you couldn’t ask for anything else because we got exactly what we wanted.”

Unfortunately for the Raiders, their tank ran on empty in the second OT. Over the first three minutes of the four-minute period, Douglas scored nine unanswered points to jump ahead 71-62. Reed could not manage another comeback this time as the Tigers sealed the win with free throws.

“Both sides battled. I think there was some exhaustion and we got into foul trouble,” Hall said. “In the first overtime, possessions were limited and we held for the last 1:20, but legs get tired. All of a sudden, shots that were going in earlier aren’t going in anymore. We had a couple mistakes and missed execution on some sets there toward the end. Douglas just made a few more plays than we did. Both teams played their butts off.

“Overall, I thought our spacing was awesome tonight. We worked a lot on it over break and we spaced the floor really well. Our guards got in the middle and then made good reads most the time. We had a lot of good looks. We probably could have made a few more shots in regulation in the first half and third quarter. We had a lot of good looks that didn’t go in. That’ll come with time though and I think as we continue to space the court well, the confidence will grow and kids will get comfortable with making shots.”

The contest was a back-and-forth affair through the entirety of the game with the largest margin being a seven-point Tigers’ lead midway through the second quarter. After one quarter of play, Reed led 16-14 before Douglas grabbed a 25-22 edge at the intermission. The third quarter ended in a 39-39 tie.

Wells finished the contest with a game-high 25 points. Gray added 11 points, including a trio of three-pointers, while Herbert tallied eight points.

Douglas had four players in double figures scoring en route to the victory. Pat Johnson led the way with 15 points, followed by 14 from Hunter Myers. Austin Evans tacked on 13 points, while Joe Syammach added 10.

Reed will return to the hardwood Tuesday at North Valleys. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses