Send your nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org
I’ll publish results just in time for the start of the biennial Carson City legislative petting zoo.
To refresh your memory, here’s last year’s rogues gallery:
1. U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Searchlight.
2. Steve Wynn, megalomanical Macau and Las Vegas casino overlord.
3. Sam McMullen, lawyer-lobbyist.
4. Infernaro: juice lobbyists Peter Ernaut and Greg Ferraro, the two-headed dragon that created Gov. Brian Sandoval.
5. Jim Murren, CEO of MGM Resorts International, owners of Circus Circus and partners in Reno’s Silver Legacy.
6. Brian Greenspun, boss of his family’s Gomorrah South media empire.
7. Randolph Townsend, Reno state senator (D-1982-85, R-1985-2010) and current Nevada Gaming Commission member.
8. Jim Rogers, owner of Las Vegas, Reno and Elko TV stations.
9. Danny Thompson, head of the Nevada State AFL-CIO.
10. Ross Miller, Nevada Secretary of State.
11. Patricia Mulroy, chief of the Southern Nevada Water Authority.
Reaction to and criticism of the above will be included with the expanded web edition of this column at NevadaLabor.com.
BONUS QUESTION. Some said there was one glaring omission from the latter list. Who? Bonus points if you know why that purge proved prescient.
BONUS QUESTION PART DEUX. You could see it coming a year away. Before the election, after witnessing months of gargantuan gafficide, the Barbwire accurately predicted 2012’s ghastliest political pileup, a Democratic two-fer: failure to nominate Sheila Leslie for U.S. Senate.
Send me your predictions for the bestest of the grotesquest in the year of unlucky ‘13.
VOTE FOR THE DONALD. As previously noted, I closed the 2012 political season undefeated.
I was honored to win a second term as first vice-president of the Reno-Sparks NAACP and I nominated and facilitated the election of Guy Richardson to the Nevada Press Association Hall of Fame.
Looking over the NPA honor roll, I noticed another missing mensch: legendary photographic superstar Don Dondero (1920-2003) whose work appeared worldwide, including this newspaper.
Enlist in the campaign to install Big Don.
Please send your memories and endorsements via e-mail to email@example.com or to P.O. Box 10034, Reno NV 89510.
SUPPORT THE RETURN OF RENO-SPARKS COMMUNITY TV. If this year’s elections didn’t convince you of the need, the 2013 legislature certainly will.
Join the campaign. You may donate at ReSurge.TV or contact me.
This is important.
HIE THEE TO MY MAILING LIST. Over the past several weeks, about a dozen major news stories have originated in this column either in print or online.
If you’re into non-corporate filtered news, sign up via firstname.lastname@example.org.
BARBWIRE ALMANAC: On Dec. 27, 2005, Betty Joyce Luffman Donlevy Barbano died in Reno. Born in Enid, Okla., on Feb. 7, 1941, she reposes in Carson City with her daughter, Debra Joyce Donlevy, 1959-1978.
Happy High Holly Days.
Be well. Raise hell.
Andrew Barbano is a 44-year Nevadan and editor of NevadaLabor.com/ E-mail email@example.com. Barbwire by Barbano has originated in the Tribune since 1988.