Radon educators will be available to answer questions, hand out informative brochures and offer free short-term radon test kits.
Radon is a colorless, odorless, naturally occurring radioactive gas known to cause lung cancer. Among nonsmokers, radon is the leading cause of lung cancer. Radon occurs from the breakdown of uranium in rocks and soil.
Once released from the earth, radon can enter any home or building – old or new, well-sealed or drafty. Homes with basements, slab on grade, crawl spaces or no visible foundation cracks are susceptible. Variables that determine radon levels include how the home was constructed, occupant lifestyle factors and the strength of the radon source beneath the house. The only way to know a building’s radon levels is to test. If high levels of radon are found, there is a way to reduce or mitigate radon levels.
For more radon information, visit the Nevada Radon Education Program website www.RadonNV.com, or call the Radon Hotline at 888-723-6610.