Workers did not discover the fire until they saw small clouds of smoke in the hallway and the fire alarm system sounded.
“Once we responded we discovered a small fire that was kind of difficult to put out,” said Bob King, Sparks Fire Department Fire Marshall. “The fire was in between the roof structure and the ceiling of a classroom and we had to do some ventilation up there to get to the fire.”
Kind said the damage was contained to above only one classroom and the smoke was cleared out of the building fairly quickly. The fire department was able to respond quickly because of their location on Victorian Avenue and the fire alarm system alerted the three administration staff members and the maintenance crew to exit the building.
“The extensive time it took to put out the flames was due to the fire’s location inside the roof,” he said. “The fire alarm system worked very well. All the strobes were flashing and the smoke detectors are working great. The contractors did a good job of calling 911 right away.”
Fire officials are encouraging community residents to report any signs of fire, no matter the extent, to the fire department during the dry summer months. They said fires during the current climate can come from unlikely situations and no sign of smoke or fire should be taken lightly.