Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Man released from hospital after ‘miracle’ recovery from hammer attack
by Ken Ritter, Associated Press
May 14, 2012 | 1278 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Days after mourning a Las Vegas mother and daughter killed in a random home-invasion hammer attack, family members are celebrating the release from the hospital of a husband and father who received critical head injuries in the same attack.

Arturo Martinez was released Sunday from University Medical Center in Las Vegas after almost a month of treatment, but he still faces a long and difficult recuperation, said his sister, Gaudia Martinez-Seal.

“We’re calling him a miracle,” Martinez-Seal in a Monday telephone interview. “But we have our brother back. He’s home. It was definitely a celebration. It means that he’s recovering.”

Martinez, 39, can walk without a cane or a walker and is able to speak in English and Spanish, although he sometimes has difficulty getting words out, his sister said. He’s not yet ready to talk publicly about his ordeal.

His doctors on Friday let Martinez go to the church where about 500 people attended a funeral Mass for Ignacia Yadira Martinez and their 10-year-old daughter Karla Martinez.

Authorities say the 38-year-old mother and her daughter were sexually assaulted before they were killed in their beds during a lone intruder’s early April 15 rampage in their modest home.

A 9-year-old son and his 4-year-old brother in another bedroom were spared during the bloody attack. The gruesome crime came to light when the older boy went to school the next day and told administrators that his mom and sister were dead at home and his dad was injured and covered in blood.

A 22-year-old stranger to the family, Bryan Devonte Clay, was arrested several days later on multiple charges that could get him the death penalty. He told police he drank alcohol, took Ecstasy and smoked PCP the night before the alleged attacks and didn’t remember what he did later.

Clay also is accused of trying to rape a 50-year-old woman a short time earlier in a separate street attack not far from the Martinez home several blocks northwest of downtown Las Vegas. He is jailed in Las Vegas pending a June 15 court hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence for trial in state court.

Arturo Martinez doesn’t remember most of the attack on him and his family, his sister said. His injuries were so severe that doctors induced a coma to allow his injured brain time to heal.

Martinez-Seal said her brother was treated for multiple skull fractures that required dozens of surgical staples in his head, and is due to start speech and physical therapy this week. Funds for his recovery are being paid through the Construction Workers Industry Charity Foundation and a Bank of Nevada account set up in his name.

Meanwhile, Martinez-Seal said Arturo Martinez and the boys are staying at her Las Vegas home.

“My brother will go through a lot. He will definitely need support,” Martinez-Seal said. “But he’s a fighter. He’s saying that everything will be OK.”

Arturo Martinez worked as an electrician and taught boxing at the Real KO Boxing Club in North Las Vegas. Family members say “Yady” Martinez kept the financial books.

The couple met 20 years ago, when they were studying law at the Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla in Mexico. They didn’t finish college before moving to the United States in the late 1990s. They never obtained U.S. citizenship, but their three children were born in the U.S.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses