SPARKS — The phrase “you are what you eat” is a familiar one that you wouldn’t think applies to your four-legged friends, but the opposite is true. Dogs whose owners actively feed them with high-quality food often see drastic differences than those that eat commercial products.
Scraps Dog Bakery, a family-owned and operated pet supplies shop, specializes in providing healthy food products for dogs.
“The first ingredient in our products is always a whole protein like chicken, beef or lamb,” owner Krissy Taylor said. “In the long run you are saving money on trips to the vet and medication.”
Taylor acknowledged that even though her products might cost more than traditional dog foods found at the supermarket, the composition of Scraps’ products brings benefits that dogs won’t get from other food products.
“Commercial products have fillers that dogs’ bodies don’t use and can’t process,” she said. “Our products contain no corn, wheat or soy. We also have some that are grain-free for dogs who are allergic to grain.”
In 2003, Scraps opened its doors with the intention of improving the lives of dogs in the Sparks community from a store at the Sparks Marina. The store has since relocated to North McCarran Boulevard and Pyramid Way, where Taylor said she has already seen an uptick in new customers in just a few months.
“(New customers) come in after the vet and their dog is diagnosed with something or they realize they have allergies,” Taylor said, adding that Scraps employees will give customers’ dogs some samples and guide them through the store so they can find what is right for their pet.
Scraps has seen a decline in sales of some of the additional pet products it offers, such as collars and leashes, but has not seen a similar decline in sales of food products. Taylor said this is because pet owners see the importance of good nutrition.
Some of the most popular and peculiar pet products Scraps offers are sure to catch your eye upon entering the quaint store, including a chew toy made from naturally shed deer antlers. Taylor said it is great for all types of dogs and is very long-lasting.
She also raves about the freeze-dried raw meat that is safe for any owner to handle without the threat of germs while containing dense nutrition for the canine.
“It’s 95 percent meat that comes from chicken, beef, lamb or duck. The other 5 percent comes from fruits and vegetables,” she said, explaining that dogs’ bodies are meant to handle the raw meat they would be eating were they not domesticated in a family home.
The amount of beneficial nutrition available in the products at Scraps makes it a no-brainer for owners who are looking for the best nutrition for their pet, according to Taylor.
“The proof is in the pudding,” she said. “We’ve seen it with our own eyes. The dogs come in and they are miserable and when they come back a couple months later they are beautiful.”
Taylor said good nutrition should not discourage veterinary visits, which are very important for pet health. But from a dietary standpoint, Scraps’ treats are a great way to get dogs looking and feeling better.