In all of 2011, the Reno police Traffic Division investigated a total of 17 fatalities. From January through March 2011, the department investigated six fatal accidents. So far for 2012, the Traffic Division has only investigated two fatalities. Of the 19 total fatal traffic accident investigations from January 2011 to present, 10 involved alcohol or drugs in either the driver’s or victim’s system.
The type of fatal traffic accidents investigated from 2011 to now include:
• 12 pedestrian-involved accidents
• Three motorcycle-involved accidents
• One single-vehicle accident
• One involving a bicyclist vs. vehicle
• One vehicle vs. another vehicle
• One involving a person being run over by the car they jumped out of while in motion
Over the past year, the Reno Police Department has participated in several enforcement and educational campaigns throughout the city this year. These operations resulted in 411 citations and 142 warnings.