RENO — The College of Business at the University of Nevada, Reno will announce the winning business plan team for the inaugural year of the Sontag Entrepreneurship Competition on Wednesday. The team will walk away with the coveted award and a prize of $50,000.
Last September, alumnus Rick Sontag gave a $1 million gift to the UNR Foundation to create an endowment to fund the competition. Sontag will announce the winner Wednesday, via Skype.
Thirty-five student teams submitted preliminary business plans in March, and six finalists were named on April 2, including:
• BoxFeeds, which plans to encourage breweries to focus on sustainability by converting waste products from the brewing process to viable products for other markets. Team members include Kelsey Plank, Zachary Karmiol, Morgan Vonnahme Brannon Orr, Arianna Rosen and Bradley Moakler.
• Entropy Fuel Systems, which plans to reshape the direction and progress of ethanol production in the United States and around the world. Keaton W. Cooley-Rieders is the sole team member.
• Envirohaven, which plans to revolutionize the green housing industry by manufacturing self-contained, energy-producing and efficiently designed home packages that can be easily assembled anywhere. Team members include Clint Borchard, Vicki Bischoff, Manpreet Kaur, Shaun Cameron and Adair Melendez.
• Grabitech, which plans to manufacture, package and distribute the Tag n’ Grab notification system, comprised of software and hardware designed to help consumers keep track of their personal belongings. Team members include Justin Yang, Felicia Groso, James Malone, Victor Morrow and Cho Yu Chong.
• Mining Environmental Technology and Services (METS), which plans to develop, produce and market optical instruments to detect potentially harmful airborne particulates in mining work places. Team members include David Karr, Bryan Rainwater, Ben Sumlin and Heather Zunino.
• Modphalt Green Asphalt Technology, which plans to encapsulate ground tire rubber (GTR) particles with a polymer to create a solution in the asphalt roofing industry. Team members include Brett Shaffner, Chelsea Hejny, James Eckvahl and Wesley Clary.
The finalists submitted completed business plans on April 27 and gave oral presentations last Friday. Presentation of the Sontag Entrepreneurship Award will take place during a lunch at the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center in the Frank and Joan Randall Rotunda at UNR.