Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Arcing power lines caused big Nov. 18 fire in Nev.
by Tribune Staff
Jan 27, 2012 | 452 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print


RENO (AP) — Fire investigators have confirmed arcing power lines caused the wind-blown blaze that destroyed dozens of homes on the southwest side of Reno in November.

A report issued by the Reno Fire Department on Friday says the fire caused $15 million in property damage. It destroyed 26 homes and damaged 17.

Fire Chief Michael Hernandez said earlier he suspected power lines sparked the Nov. 18 fire but he stopped short of ruling that the formal cause. He says a tree limb probably hit a line.

The Reno Gazette-Journal first reported the release of the document, which was reviewed by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Another 29 homes burned south of Reno last week in a fire started accidentally by a man discarding fireplace ashes.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses