Any person who comes into contact with an unlicensed contractor is encouraged to obtain as much information on the individual as possible and contact the Reno Unlicensed Contractor Hotline at 850-7838.
Below are some common warning signs of unlicensed contractors:
• Door-to-door solicitations: Contractors might come to the door immediately surveying damage and selling their services on-the-spot at a reduced price.
• Verbal agreements: Contractors may say that a written contract is unnecessary.
• High-pressure sales: Contractors may push for an immediate decision about work and not allow the homeowner time to verify their contractor’s license, obtain multiple bids or check contractor references.
• Demands for cash payment.
• Demands for large down payment: Contractors may say that they need the majority of the funds to purchase supplies and pay workers prior to any work being performed. As a general rule, it is best not to pay more than 10 percent down and not let payments get ahead of the work.