The Nevada Appeal reports that the West Side District was recently designated for protection.
The West Side District covers about 70 acres within the larger Carson City Historic District, which the city established in 1982.
Among the buildings that will be preserved by the designation is the Governor’s Mansion. There are also houses, churches and commercial buildings within the district.
Carson City’s central district was originally laid-out in 1858.
The National Register of Historic Places was created in 1966 as a way to support efforts to preserve areas that have a historical, cultural or archeological significance.