Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Amodei: Just a lot of Bull
by David Farside
Jun 27, 2011 | 1011 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
By Woodrow
By Woodrow
slideshow
The older I get the more I realize there’s not much difference between the hype of a rodeo and the rhetoric of Republican politics. The crowds of people at rodeos yell, scream and applaud bull riders and bronc busters playing cowboy. The Republican electorate shouts, applauds and cheers their favorite candidates spreading the bull of politics.

The rodeo crowd is led to believe the bull is jumping six feet off the ground to throw the rider off his back. But as we all know, the bull is attempting to get that bucking strap away from his testicles. But it’s to no avail. The higher the bull jumps the tighter the leather strap gets until the rider flies off the back of the bull. If the rider had a leather rope tied that close to his testicles, he’d jump higher than the bull. What a great sport!

For years, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has protested this cruelty. They claim “normally docile animals are physically provoked into displaying wild behavior in order to make the cowboys look deceptively brave.” They say they have evidence that electrical prodding devices are used on the animals before they enter their theatrical ring to cause pain and rile them up for a more believable, crowd-pleasing performance.

But the cowpokes have a different version. They claim it’s all in fun. The bucking strap is not actually around the animal’s private parts, just close enough for the animal to think he’s going to lose his reproductive organ. After all, they’re only celebrating the heritage and tradition of the “Old West.” Besides, the animals are well taken care of, don’t suffer pain and are not mistreated.

OK, all cowgirls listen up: The next time your little buckaroo comes home late drunk and smells like a perfume bottle, tie him up with a bucking strap and squeeze it tightly until he jumps six feet off the ground or tells you where he was all night.

The bull ring is not the only theater of deception. There’s a lot of bull being thrown around by Republican Mark Amodei in the political arena. Former Nevada Republican Chairman Amodei won the party’s nomination to run for U.S. Sen. Dean Heller’s old congressional seat. Heller jumped over to the Senate, replacing our philandering Sen. John Ensign. Now the taxpayers have to pay for a special election in September to replace him. If the Republicans wanted to resign from Congress, they should pay for the special election.

Amodei already has started his negative campaign ads. He is accusing President Obama of helping China build its empire. Sipping his political tea and extreme scare tactics, he claims if our debt limit is increased, China’s army will soon be marching on Washington, D.C. soil.

Attacking China and freezing our debt ceiling is not a good idea. Nevada’s exports to China amount to more than $400 million annually. Most of it comes from mining and the “green” industry. Good trade relations with China have to be maintained to balance exports with imports and the dollar against the Chinese yen.

The debt ceiling has to be raised. Due to the Republican strategy, we cannot increase our source of revenue: taxes. Without increased funds we could default on our present debt, lose our bond rating and quickly fall into bankruptcy. Our bonds would be considered at risk, limiting interested buyers. Our interest rates would climb to 20 percent and China would gladly buy up all our debt, controlling most of our economic destiny.

Because of a lack of interest in buying our bonds and in an effort to reduce our interest rate, Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke announced his second round of quantitative easing (QE2) in late November of last year. Since then, the Treasury Department purchased 70 percent of our bonds at a lower than market interest rate, leaving 30 percent available only for the free market, which would demand a higher rate of interest in return for their risk.

Nevada needs a congressman with the common sense to compromise, adjust expenditures, increase taxes on the wealthy and eliminate fraud in entitlement programs. A representative who doesn’t need electric prodding to escape the rodeo of politics and the theatrics of rhetoric. A representative who will protect Nevada’s mining and international trade, not another Tea Party naysayer. But Amodei’s negative campaign, unwillingness to compromise and extreme right views could pave the way for Democrat Kate Marshall’s victory in the predominantly Republican Congressional District 2.

And that’s no bull.

David Farside is a Sparks resident and political activist. Contact him at farsidian2001@yahoo.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses