Washoe County Regional Animal Services received a call last week from a landlord who heard her meowing from somewhere in his rental home. Animal control officers determined the cries were coming from the chimney, but were unable to rescue the trapped kitten. The Reno Fire Department was called and broke into the chimney wall to reach her. Fire officials said there was an abundance of ash holding little Ashley in place, but once that was removed she was able to free herself. Ashley escaped easily but then ran under the house. A humane trap was set overnight to catch her, and she was successfully brought into Washoe County Regional Animal Services on March 9.
“When Ashley came in, she was covered in soot, cold, and very hungry,” cat care manager Vonice Reed said. “Animal Services staff gave her a warm bath and a meal and she perked right up. She is a bit timid, but loves to cuddle. Soon she will be ready for a loving home.”
Ashley arrived nearly all black in color, but after several washings she was revealed to be a gray tabby with white markings.
Ashley, only about 3 months old, is recovering well, eating quite a bit, and enjoying the attention of shelter staff. She was spayed, vaccinated, microchipped and is being readied for her new home.