Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Raiders fall short against Hawks
by Michael Lingberg
Feb 09, 2011 | 669 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed’s Erik Martinez gets up a floater in the lane between Hug defenders during first-half action.
Tribune photo by John Byrne - Reed’s Erik Martinez gets up a floater in the lane between Hug defenders during first-half action.
The Hug high gym was louder than usual Tuesday night. The host Hawks (19-2) were forced to earn a victory against a scrappy Reed club in boys prep basketball action. The 77-61 score was a lot closer than one might think.

The Raiders were forced to deal with mismatches all over the court due partly because senior guard Dylan Raatz sat out the game due to a team violation, according to Head Coach Dustin Hall.

The short-handed Raiders sank nine 3-pointers throughout the contest to keep the game close. The ninth of those long-balls came from Reed's sophomore guard, Devin Gray, and it made the score 63-61 in Hug’s favor with 2:05 left in the fourth quarter.

From that point on, Reed lost its composure when both junior guard Kyle Ross and Hall were called for technical fouls after arguing with an official. So instead of two free throws by Hug’s senior guard Jaevis Johnson, he was given six foul-shots.

Johnson connected on only three of those shots bringing the score to 68-61 with just 1:49 left to play, but the damage was done; The Raiders had used up their energy and failed to score another point in the final two minutes.

Still, Hall was proud of his team’s effort and their near upset.

“We played hard, “he said. “We took care of the ball better than the first time we played them. There were a lot of gutsy efforts from guys who were playing out of position. We just ran out of gas at the end.”

The score was deadlocked at 12-12 to end the first quarter and Reed actually held the lead at 31-28 going into halftime. The lead was a combination of good defense, the Raiders making their shots while the Hawks were missing some point-blank layups and slam-dunks.

The boys in blue and gold held their biggest lead of the game at 39-28 after they ran off an 8-0 run to open the third quarter.

Hug responded by tearing off a 21-2 run to end the period, using a potent combination of junior guard Andrew Johnson and sophomore center Sam Williams. The pair scored 14 of the Hug points during the huge run to help the HHS cagers take control of the game.

After falling down 49-41 to end the third, the Raiders fought their way back from beyond the arc in the final period. They drained three shots from beyond the 3-point line to eventually pull within two at 58-56 with 4:22 left to play. Unfortunately for them, they could not get over the hump to take the lead.

“The kids played an emotional game, “said Hall. “It’s just too bad it didn’t translate into a win.”

Gray led a balanced Raider scoring attack with 12 points. Ty Shepard, Erik Martinez, and Ross each followed with 11.

Williams paced the Hawks with 24 points followed by Andrew Johnson scoring 18. Jaevis Johnson chipped in with 15.

Reed (6-12) (3-9) will pay a visit to North Valleys on Friday for its High Desert League finale. Tipoff will be at 7:30 p.m.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses