Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Raiders snare key league win over Colts
by Aaron Retherford
Jan 04, 2011 | 562 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Reed boys hoops fans are used to watching their team get off to slow starts and have to play come-from-behind basketball.

But it was a different story when the Raiders went to Wooster Tuesday night. Reed scored 11 of the game’s first 13 points, putting the Colts on their heels.

Reed had to brave an inspired effort from Wooster, but in the end the Raiders came away with a 64-54 league victory.

“It was nice. The kids came out focused,” Reed boys basketball coach Dustin Hall said of the fast start. “We’ve got 11 kids and all 11 were focused. The bench was focused and the starters were ready to play.”

With 4:48 left in the first quarter, Dylan Raatz scored on a bucket down low and was fouled. He converted the three-point play, handing the visitors an 11-2 edge.

That’s when Wooster woke up, recording the next five points, closing the gap to 11-7.

That’s as close as the score got in the first quarter as the Raiders outscored the Colts 6-3 the rest of the way for a 17-10 lead entering the second eight minutes of play.

Wooster grabbed momentum from the start of the second quarter. Two minutes in, Dana Henjum knocked down a baseline jumper to make it a 19-17 game. Wooster would not tie it until later in the action.

After Reed went up by six, 26-20, on a Roberto Velazquez 3-pointer from the top of the key with 4:41 to go before the intermission, Eddie Arista helped the Colts tie the game for the first time.

Arista scored six points during a small 8-2 run, which knotted the score at 28-28.

Reed’s Devin Gray answered with a trey from the wing and Erik Martinez hit a 17-footer, preventing the Colts from claiming their first lead of the contest. The Raiders were only able to take a 33-31 lead into halftime.

Wooster appeared to find an answer during halftime. Henjum dropped in a runner for the Colts’ first lead of the game, 35-33, 45 seconds into the second half.

That was as good as it got for the Red and White in the game.

Raatz tied the game at 35-35, and Velazquez rattled home a 3-pointer to give Reed the lead for good at the 6:15 mark of the third.

Both teams traded 3-balls, which allowed the Colts to close to within one, 48-47, to end the third quarter.

It was still a one-point game, 50-49, with 7:22 to go before Reed scored seven unanswered, capped when Martinez ripped the twine on a 3-pointer from the wing. The 57-49 lead with 5:09 on the clock was the Raiders’ largest since halfway through the first quarter.

The lead grew even bigger when Velazquez got the ball in transition and went up for a high-flying layup. He drew contact and sank the shot, earning a three-point play opportunity that he converted, giving the RHS crew a 60-51 advantage.

Wooster could not mount a comeback.

“We got some stops. We were solid from the free-throw line. I think we only missed two,” Hall said of the fourth quarter. “We got a couple layups. It was a solid fourth quarter. We got the lead, and I was pretty confident with the guys we had on the floor.”

Martinez and Raatz paced the Raiders’ offense with 12 points apiece, while Gray and Velazquez added 10.

Pablo Contreras led all scorers with 17 points, while teammates Garrett Powers and Bobby Roberson added 11 and 10 respectively.

Reed (5-4, 2-2 in Northern 4A) is at McQueen and Reno Friday and Saturday. Tip-off Friday is 7:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses