The department receives reports of vehicles commonly stolen while left running and unattended at homes, gas stations, convenience stores and ATMs.
Police encourage residents to start their vehicle and remain with it while using a scraper to remove frost from windows.
Area residents should also use the following tips to help prevent the theft of vehicles:
• Park in well-lighted areas and always lock your car.
• Never leave your keys in the ignition or elsewhere in the vehicle.
• If you have a garage, use it rather than parking outside.
• Don’t leave packages, purses, briefcases, automatic garage door openers, personal papers and mail or other items in plain view in your vehicle, as they can invite a break-in and lead to vehicle theft, home burglary and identification theft.
• Never hide a second set of keys in your vehicle.
• Never leave children unattended in a running vehicle, and never leave keys in the ignition with unattended children.