Nonrefundable pinyon pine and juniper trees permits will be available for $5 each, primarily on forested BLM lands in the Pinenut Mountains between Carson City and Yerington, the Clan Alpine and Desatoya Mountains east of Fallon, and the Excelsior Mountains southeast of Hawthorne. Maps and directions are available with permit purchase. The number of tags that may be purchased is not limited.
Both the BLM-Nevada State Office in Reno and the BLM-Carson City District Office will accept phone credit card orders, check or credit card mail orders and mail the permits.
Permit office locations include:
• BLM-Carson City District Office — 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov 27, Dec. 4 and Dec. 11; located at 5665 Morgan Mill Road in Carson City. Call (775) 885-6000 for more information.
• BLM-Nevada State Office-Reno — 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; located at 1340 Financial Blvd in Reno. Call 861-6500 for more information.
• Community Action Center-Hawthorne — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; located at 701 E St. in Hawthorne. Call (775) 945-2471 for more information.
• UNR Cooperative Extension Office-Fallon — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; located at 111 Shekler Road in Fallon. Cash or checks only at this location. Call (775) 423-5121 for more information.
• Middlegate Station — 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily; located at 42500 U.S. Highway 50, about 48 miles east of Fallon.
• Cold Springs Station — 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. daily; 52500 U.S. Highway 50, about 62 miles east of Fallon. Call (775) 423-1233 for more information.
Tree cutters should bring their own tools, warm clothing, a first aid kit, extra food and water, heavy rope or chain, shovel and tire chains, in the event of bad road conditions or inclement weather. Some cutting areas might be inaccessible after snowfall, so it is advisable to cut trees early in the season.