“We have been doing cleanups and safety sweeps in preparation for this summer,” Scherer said. “We are ensuring that everything is ready.”
Pools and parks across Sparks will be opening for summer fun beginning the first week of June.
Marina swim season begins on June 1, with hours from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily through August.
Other outdoor swimming venues include Deer Park Pool, located at 1700 Prater Way, which will be open 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. the weekend of May 31 and June 1. From June 7 through August 24, pool hours will be 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.
Oppio Park Pool, located at 2355 18th St. opens to the public Saturday, June 7 and will remain in operation through August 24. Hours are 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.
These two outdoor pools charge a fee for summer usage. For youth (under 18 years) the cost is $3; adult (18 to 54 years) $5; seniors (55 years and older) $3.50; and families (up to six members) $12.
Scherer is also preparing for the flocks of summer-fun-seekers who will use the parks in addition to the pools.
“With some of the new facilities we built during the course of the last year, (for example) improvements to the marina, extended services and Golden Eagle (Regional Park), we think it is going to be a fabulous year,” Scherer said.
Swimmers may recognize some changes this summer, including shorter hours at the marina.
“Those hours are a little shorter than years past but as everyone knows local government is going through a little crunch right now,” Scherer said. He explained that the guards who work at the marina require a higher level of training because it is an outdoor venue. Hence, higher pay is required to attract qualified lifeguards.
As he looks forward to the summer season, Scherer has his own list of tips for summer safety at Sparks pools.
• Do not distract the lifeguards while they are working. Questions should be directed to the guard office or ranger staff. The rangers monitor the entire facility from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
• Children under 8 years of age must have an adult with them in the designated swim areas at all times. “Keeping your child within an arm’s length is a good policy to follow,” Scherer said. “First and foremost people have to understand the inherent risk in a pool or a lake and keep a very close eye on their children.”
• Toys, rafts, noodles, etc. cannot be used in place of swimming ability or for water safety purposes. “If you are not feeling well, don’t get in the water,” Scherer said.
• No alcohol, cans or bottles are allowed near the water. Also, barbecues that are fueled by charcoal are not allowed at the marina. “If (you) want to barbecue (you) need to bring gas,” Scherer said.
• Groups of 25 or more must make a reservation at any pool by calling 353-7879.
Parks in Sparks
Aimone Park - 55 Queen Way
Alf Sorensen Community Center* - 1400 Baring Blvd.
Ardmore Park - 1200 12th St.
Bodega Park - 1200 Bodega Drive
Burgess Park - 1605 Pyramid Way
Canyon Hills Park - 4480 Los Altos Parkway
Church Park - 1850 First St.
City Recreation Center - 98 Richards Way
Cottonwood Park - 777 Spice Island Drive
Coyote Springs Park - Vista Del Rancho Parkway
Deer Park* - 1700 Prater Way
Del Cobre Park - 7990 Via Del Cobre Ave.
Gandolfo Rodeo Arena - 2200 Loop Road
Gateway Park - Greg Street
Glendale Park - 399 Coney Island
Golden Eagle Regional Park - 6400 Vista Blvd.
Jacinto Park - 7805 Jacinto Ave.
Les Hicks Jr. Park - Sparks Boulevard. & Vintage Hills Drive
Lillard Park - Pyramid Way & Victorian Avenue.
Longford Park - 250 E. Greenbrae Drive
Maldonado Park - 2100 Canyon Parkway
Oppio Park* - 2355 18th Street
Pagni Ranch Park - Festa Way
Pah Rah Mountain Park - 1750 Shadow Lane
Pinion Park - 355 S.21st St.
Poulakidas Park - 530 Fourth St.
Red Hawk Park - 3215 Poco Rey Drive
Rock Park - 1515 Rock Blvd.
Rose Garden Park - 6195 Wingfield Springs Road
Shadow Mountain Sports Complex - 3300 Sparks Blvd.
Shelly Park - 2901 N.Truckee Lane
Sparks Marina Park* - 300 Howard Drive
Sparks Memorial Park - C Street and Pyramid Highway
Van Meter Park - Fargo Way and O’Callahan Drive
Village Green Park - 849 Lepori Way
Vista View Park - 2201 N. D’ Andrea Parkway
Wildcreek Park - 3900 El Rancho Blvd.
Willowcreek Park - 125 E. Prater Way
Woodtrail Park - Golden Spike and Wood trail
*Parks with swimming.