Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Suspect claims self-defense in death of girlfriend
by Tribune Staff
Sep 12, 2011 | 6750 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Brian Hobbs
Brian Hobbs
SPARKS — A man arrested in connection with the death of his girlfriend, whose body was found Saturday near Carson City, has claimed self-defense in an interview with Sparks police detectives.

Brian Hobbs, a 29-year-old Sparks resident, was taken into custody after speaking to police about the death of Cherissa Davidson, also a 29-year-old Sparks resident. On Saturday, detectives from the Carson City Sheriff’s Office contacted the Sparks Police Department to help them with the investigation of a body found in the Brunswick Canyon area. The body was identified as Davidson.

Carson City detectives learned that Davidson had a 3-month-old son, whose whereabouts at the time were unknown. Sparks officers and Carson City detectives then went to 1295 Pullman Court, where computer records showed Davidson to be living. At the residence, officers were let in by Hobbs, who answered the door. Officers checked on the welfare of the 3-month-old, who was unharmed and in good condition.

Officers asked Hobbs if he would speak with them at police headquarters and he consented. The child was placed with Child Protective Services.

Officers learned that Hobbs and Davidson were living together and were romantically involved.

In an interview with police detectives, Hobbs claimed Davidson came home one day and immediately attacked him with a tire iron. Hobbs said he disarmed Davidson and “accidentally” struck her in the head with the tire iron. He said she then got a large knife from the kitchen and again attacked him. Hobbs claimed they struggled over the knife and, as they fell to the floor, Davidson fell on the knife. Hobbs said Davidson then began stabbing herself with the knife and, as he disarmed her, he “accidentally” stabbed her multiple times due to a “twitch” in his arm.

Hobbs said he did not think police would believe his story, so he dug a hole in the back yard and buried Davidson. He then changed his mind and decided he wanted to transport Davidson’s body to Carson City. He contacted and picked up an acquaintance, who is mentally challenged, and talked this person into helping him put Davidson in a van. Hobbs admitted to driving Davidson’s body to a ravine in the Brunswick Canyon area of Carson City and leaving her there. He then drove back to Sparks.

Hobbs spoke in detail about the homicide and the lengths he went to clean the crime scene. He led investigators to numerous pieces of evidence, including the knife and the tire iron. 

Officers were able to develop enough information to apply for a search warrant for the residence, which was granted. Through evidence found at the residence and other information, detectives believe that Hobbs is responsible for the death of Davidson. Hobbs was arrested and booked into the Washoe County jail on a charge of murder with a deadly weapon, and placed on a no-bail hold.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses