Check Out Our Sports Photo Galleries Contact Us
Sparks boys can’t handle Fallon’s pressure
by Aaron Retherford
Jan 15, 2011 | 513 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Saturday was not a spectacular day for the Sparks boys basketball team. In fact it was quite ugly.

Fallon traveled to the Rail City and left with a lopsided 72-51 Northern 3A victory.

Past the midway point of a low-scoring first quarter, Sparks enjoyed a 6-3 lead. Then all of a sudden it was 11-6 in favor of Fallon.

The Railroaders were able to send the teams into the second quarter tied at 11-11 when Martin Jordan scored on a drive with 42 seconds left in the quarter and Erik Garcia rattled home a 3-pointer 32 seconds later.

The Greenwave made it evident early on the second quarter would belong to it. Fallon opened up the second quarter with three straight baskets in the first minute to grab a 17-11 lead.

Fallon earned its first double-digit edge of the game when Aaron Evett hit back-to-back threes, including one from about 23 feet out, making the score 23-13 at the 6:06 mark of the quarter.

His third straight 3-pointer gave the Greenwave a 26-15 advantage, the largest gap of the first half with just over five minutes left before the break.

A small 5-0 Sparks run closed the gap to six points, 26-20. However, the Maroon and Gold did not make a shot from the field again over the final 2:47 of the first half.

On the other hand, Fallon didn’t have that trouble as Miles Adams scored on consecutive trips down the floor, the first on a fast-break layup and the second in transition when a teammate found him on the run while trailing the action. Those buckets pushed the lead back up to 10, 30-20, with 1:08 on the clock.

A Brian Morgan free throw with 7 seconds left in the half led to a 30-21 halftime score.

It didn’t stay a single-digit game for long though. Sparks got as close as 30-23 on a Henry Banks drive and hoop 15 seconds into the second half, but within a minute and a half, Fallon had built a double-digit edge for good following a trey by Adams.

The Greenwave outscored the Railroaders 22-12 in the third quarter and never looked back, claiming a 52-33 lead through three quarters of play.

Twenty seconds into the fourth period, the cagers from Churchill County increased their advantage over the 20-point plateau for the first time, 54-33

Still, Sparks showed some life in the fourth quarter, going on a 6-0 run by forcing Fallon turnovers. The Railroaders were able to cut the deficit to 56-43 with 4:36 left in the contest.

But the hole proved to be too great and the effort too late.

“We’re in a funk and not playing well,” Sparks coach Mike Jones said. “We talk a lot about how to break the trap. We work on it everyday. If we can’t figure out how to break it, we’re not going to do a lot of damage this year. We’ve got a good group of guys, but I just don’t think they believe in themselves yet.”

Fallon scored 16 of the last 24 points of the game to build the gap back up.

The Greenwave got balanced scoring with 11 players making their mark in the scoring column. Evett led the way with 23 points after knocking down five 3-pointers. Adams added 14, while Alan Horeystewa had 10.

Jordan paced Sparks with 14 points and Darius Devine chipped in 10.

Sparks (7-5) is off until Saturday when it takes on North Tahoe at home. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
Featured Businesses