An employee at the Sparks Tribune called 911 to report the fire at approximately 9:30 a.m. SFD investigators believe the fire started after hot ashes were placed in a plastic garbage can adjacent to the structure.
A Sparks police officer was first on scene and found the garbage can on fire. The fire burned out of the can and up to attic eave area of the structure. SFD crews had to take some of the ceiling down in the kitchen area to access the fire in the attic. They also had to make a hole in the outside wall to ensure the fire didn't get inside the walls.
Twenty SFD personnel responded, including a Division Chief, Battalion Chief, four structure engines, one ladder company, one safety officer, one Public Information Officer, and one fire investigator.
NV Energy was called to the scene to secure all electricity to the structure. Residents of the structure will be displaced.
SFD officials stressed it is important to remember that hot ashes and coals stay hot for a long time. They should be placed in a metal can, doused with water and let sit for a couple of days.